10 photos of Bishan otter family pups are exactly what you need to end your week
Ever since we first discovered the Bishan otters who arrived on our shores roughly three years ago, Singapore has had an ongoing love (and depending who you ask and how wealthy they are, hate) relationship with them.
Back in April 2014, then-National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan encouraged Singaporeans to accept our new citizens into our fold.
Not that we had any difficulty doing that, though — they’ve already enrolled in mainstream school, made friends with other wildlife residents here, socialised with fellow Singaporeans, celebrated SG50 with us, participated in our government’s Active SG campaign and even paid multiple visits to Gardens By The Bay.
And now, the smooth-coated otter population has grown to roughly 50 in total. Not bad, guys.
Photographer Jeff Tan has been tracking our naturalised fellow citizens for the past three years — quite possibly ever since they arrived — and shares this series of photographs he took of the Bishan pack from January till now with us.
We note that they’re going through some very typical experiences any large family can relate to, too:
1. Taking care of four kids is tough work:
2. That feeling when you have your very own portion of a very delicious snack, all to yourself:
3. But you still need to glance furtively around in case a sibling is lurking nearby waiting to steal it:
4. When it’s time for detox:
5. When Mom notices a wrinkle:
6. When your friends are looking but yo mom don’t care:
7. When you’ve had a bit too much fun and the parents find out:
8. Sharing a room with your snoring brother:
9. Although you can’t decide if you’d maybe prefer to have their company:
10. When the world’s had a few good whacks at you and all you need is a hug:
More about our otters:
Top photo by and courtesy of Jeff Tan