PM Lee files application to strike out Leong Sze Hian’s abuse of process counterclaim
Leong's lawyer in turn is applying to strike out PM Lee's defamation suit.
The Best of You Exhibition
19 September 2019 - 22 September 2019, 1000h-2100h
Our Tampines Hub
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s lawyers have filed an application to strike out the counterclaim filed by Leong Sze Hian’s lawyer.
This new development is according to Lim Tean, who is the lawyer representing Leong.
Leong is getting sued by PM Lee for defamation.
The application to strike out the counterclaim by Leong was filed by PM Lee’s lawyers on Jan. 9.
In a Facebook post on Jan. 10, Lim said PM Lee’s lawyers did not respond to the allegations of abuse of court process in the defence filed, but instead chose to apply to strike out Leong’s counterclaim.
PM Lee’s press secretary confirms application to strike out counterclaim
Chang Li Lin, press secretary to PM Lee, confirmed what the prime minister’s lawyers have done.
In response to media queries, Chang confirmed that an application has been made by the prime minister’s lawyers to strike out the counterclaim by Leong Sze Hian “on the ground that it has no basis in law and is completely hopeless”.
Apply to strike out PM Lee’s claim of defamation
In response to PM Lee’s lawyers’ latest move, Lim, who is from Carson Law Chambers, said Leong in turn will also be filing an application to strike out PM Lee’s original claim on the basis that it is an abuse of court process.
Details of PM Lee’s defamation suit
In early December 2018, PM Lee filed a lawsuit to sue Leong, a blogger and financial adviser, for defamation.
This was after Leong shared on his Facebook page a Malaysian website article alleging complicity on the part of PM Lee in Malaysia’s 1MDB corruption scandal.
Lim, in defending Leong, filed a counterclaim against PM Lee for the abuse of the process of the court.
Previously, Lim said that PM Lee does not have a case as it “is not a real and substantial tort”.
Referring to Leong’s defence, Lim wrote: “He challenges the Prime Minister’s case on meaning, on the extent of publication and re-publication and on malice.”
Lim also wrote: “I look forward to cross-examining Lee Hsien Loong in Court.”
What happened previously:
• Leong is facing a defamation suit filed by PM Lee in early December 2018.
• Leong said he is bewildered that he is being sued by the prime minister.
• On Dec. 14, 2018, Leong then said he will defend himself.
• About two weeks later on Dec. 26, lawyer and People’s Voice party opposition politician Lim Tean said he would represent and defend Leong.
• To aid his defence, Leong announced he is crowdfunding for donations with a target of S$10,000.
• Lee Hsien Yang, the younger brother of PM Lee, confirmed on Dec. 27 he had donated a sum of money to Leong’s defence fund.