McDonald’s Singapore announced that it will suspend all restaurant operations till May 4, 2020
This will take effect from 11am on April 19, 2020.
The last order for delivery will be at 10.30am, while drive-thru orders will close at 8am.
The fast-food giant was advised by the Ministry of Health (MOH) and proceeded to suspend its restaurant operations, including McDelivery and Drive-Thru, till May 4.
Impact of McDonald's on S'poreans
In Singapore, McDonald’s has a network of over 135 restaurants island-wide, 17 Drive-Thrus, 42 dessert kiosks and 48 McCafé outlets.
It employs more than 10,000 people in Singapore.
Importantly, the fast-food giant serves more than 6 million customers every month.
Here is how much Singaporeans love McDonald's.
Moreover, McDonald's has a number of restaurants that served Singaporeans 24/7.
McDonald earlier announced that staff with disrupted roles will still be paid
In a press release by McDonald's Singapore on April 17, the fast food giant said that they will continue to pay the salaries of the employees and seniors whose roles were disrupted in the next few weeks, following the cessation of takeaway services.
It earlier said that its staff strength will be adjusted accordingly in each restaurant to support delivery orders via McDelivery and GrabFood and drive-thru orders in the kitchens.
The fast food giant had on Saturday ceased its walk-in takeaway service.
McDonald’s advised by MOH, will suspend restaurant operations
"McDonald’s Singapore today announced it has been advised by the Ministry of Health that as a preventative action in the fight against COVID-19 in Singapore, it is suspending restaurant operations, including McDelivery and Drive-Thru, till May 4", it said in its press release this morning.
Kenneth Chan, managing director of McDonald's Singapore spoke of the great challenges during these trying times.
“These are indeed unprecedented times for all of us. We have done all we can to put in place every safety precautionary measure to keep our employees and customers safe – and will continue to do our part to flatten the curve," Chan said.
"Most of all, we will continue to stay strong as a brand and people to ride out this difficult period together. As always, we thank our customers for their continued support and look forward to serving them again on May 5," he said.
Seven of its employees tested positive for Covid-19
Seven of the fast-food giant employees have tested positive for Covid-19.
A cluster was first uncovered at McDonald's on Apr. 12, involving five employees at three outlets: McDonald’s LIDO, Forum Galleria, Parklane and Geylang East Central.
On April 18, McDonald’s has closed two outlets at Changi Airport Terminal 3 and a “drive-thru” store at a Shell petrol kiosk along Tampines Ave 2.
This was after another two employees tested positive for Covid-19.
Before the closure of all outlets today, it had already closed six branches for deep-cleaning.
These were outlets at Changi Airport Terminal 3, Lido, Forum Galleria, Parklane and Geylang East Central, and a Drive-Thru store at a Shell petrol kiosk along Tampines Ave 2.
Top photo courtesy of David Chin.