A 25-year-old Thai air stewardess has died of internal bleeding and organ failure after being bitten by mosquitoes.
Malaysian media Oriental Daily reported that the Thai Lion air crew member named Apitchaya Jareondee and her family experienced high fevers and severe headaches after they were bitten.
They were then admitted into Lanna hospital in Chiang Mai, where they were diagnosed with dengue.
Subsequently, the condition of the stewardess worsened, with the dengue infection resulting in internal bleeding, shock and multiple organ failure.
She passed away on Aug. 5, purportedly less than three days after she was infected.
Family taking precautions
A cousin of the air stewardess said the family has since taken extra precautions to safeguard themselves.
Noting that there were a lot of mosquitoes due to the rainy season in Thailand, she added: "It's the rainy season, there are a lot of mosquitoes everywhere. The weather is uncomfortable, so we don't stay outside for a long time, and always close the doors and windows. But mosquitoes are everywhere."
Meanwhile, Jareondee's body has since been flown back to her home village in the south.
A severe case of dengue
According to Singapore's Ministry of Health, a person bitten by a dengue-infected mosquito can develop an infection after an incubation period of between three to 14 days, with symptoms usually appearing between the fourth and seventh days.
Symptoms of dengue include:
- Sudden onset of fever for 2-7 days
- Severe headache with pain behind the eyes
- Joint and muscle pain
- Skin rashes
- Nausea and vomiting
- Mild bleeding (e.g. bleeding from the nose of gums)
In severe cases, the infection can progress to dengue hemorrhagic fever or dengue shock syndrome, with symptoms that include internal bleeding of the skin and organs, as well as abdominal pain and persistent vomiting.
Top image collage from Apitchaya Jareondee Facebook