A FairPrice employee Nithye Alagapan, 26, was hauled to court for stealing a bottle of pesticide and poisoning his colleague according to a Lianhe Zaobao report.
Poisoned coworker from the same department
The alleged poisoning took place on June 15, 2019, at 1.40pm at Serangoon NEX FairPrice Xtra.
According to the Zaobao report, Nithye, who was a sales assistant at FairPrice, obtained a bottle of "Horti On" pesticide costing S$4.30.
Nithye then apparently mixed the pesticide in Kanageswaran Ranganathan's drink. Kanageswaran was working in the same department as Nithye.
"Horti On" contains malathion which can affect the nervous system. Exposure to it can cause nausea, muscle tremors, cramps, weakness, shortness of breath, a slowed heart rate, headache, abdominal pain and diarrhoea.
Released on bail for S$20,000
After Nithye's arrest, he was charged with theft and causing hurt by means of poison on July 17.
He was released on bail for S$20,000, while waiting for a detailed report from the Health Sciences Authority regarding the case.
When the case was heard again in court on August 14, the prosecution requested an extension of three weeks.
If Nithye is found guilty of causing harm by means of poison, he faces up to 10 years of imprisonment as well as fines or caning.
The case will be continued in court on September 4, 2019.
Cover image via NEX, FairPrice