A GoFundMe campaign that aims to gather funds from supporters globally for the purpose of continuing the city-wide Hong Kong protests, has successfully reached its goal.
Target reached within an hour
Within a day, the campaign, which started on Sunday, Aug. 11 raised US$1,935,640 (S$2,686,949).
The amount raised exceeded the target of US$1 million (S$1.39 million).
In addition, the targeted amount was reached within the first hour after the campaign was started, reported local news outlet HK01.
Donations ranged from around US$10 (S$13.80) to as high as US$1,500 (S$2,082).
Continuing with protest efforts
The group which started the campaign, "Stand with HK -- International", said its aim for gathering the funds was to launch a "worldwide advertisement campaign and second-wave counterattack against the Hong Kong puppet government and its police force".
They also called for Hongkongers residing overseas in countries such as the United States, Australia and Canada, to stand with them by starting their own rallies on Aug. 17.
International campaign persists
Previously, Hong Kong protesters have launched campaigns overseas to draw attention to their cause.
Another GoFundMe campaign, targeted at the British people, also managed to raised more than £319,513 (S$535,005).
Donations for protesters to purchase safety gear, such as gas masks and helmets, have also poured in from Hongkongers who wish to support the protests, but from a safe distance.
Worst clash so far
The city-wide protests in Hong Kong have crossed the 10th consecutive weekend.
The latest weekend protests at the start of August were arguably the most violent so far.
The police fired tear gas inside Kwai Fong train station, which was the first time they have done so.
Late night in #HongKong - @hkpoliceforce fired rounds of teargas towards #antiELAB protesters inside Kwai Fong metro station while many ordinanry commuters were there without any protective gear. #Hongkongprotest pic.twitter.com/zmBzcblwfU— Phoebe Kong 江穎怡 (@phoebe_kongwy) August 11, 2019
A woman's eye was also allegedly ruptured after the police fired pepper balls at close range towards the protesters.
The Hong Kong police also arrested protesters after disguising themselves and infiltrating the rallies.
A group of plainclothes officers, disguised as protesters, launched a surprise operation to arrest protesters outside SOGO department store in Causeway Bay. At least a dozen were arrested. The officers refused to answer reporters' questions on their identity.#HongKong #antiELAB pic.twitter.com/P3WzYCJdu7— Hong Kong Free Press HKFP (@HongKongFP) August 11, 2019
The police later defended their actions, saying it was done to target the "radical" protesters.
Protesters have been calling for an independent inquiry to look into the June 12 clash between protesters and police.
They have also accused the riot police of using excessive force against the protesters.
In response, the police said they were justified in their actions against the "violence" displayed by front-line protesters.
Police admitted they used expired tear gas
Most recently, the Hong Kong police have acknowledged that they used tear gas that was past the "use-by date", HK01 reported.
Previously, they were accused of doing so after some protesters claimed they suffered serious burns on their skin following contact with the tear gas the police released.
Pictures of the expiry date of the tear gas canisters were circulated online, seemingly supporting the protesters' claims.
Unconfirmed reports police are again firing expired tear gas at protesters in something like three districts now - from media telegram group pic.twitter.com/lTwkpgWKvx— Erin Hale (@erinhale) August 5, 2019
Protests going on for almost 3 months
Some have even gone on strikes, bringing the city to a gridlock.
However, thousands have also rallied to show their support for the Hong Kong government and police.
Top image via GoFundMe