fbpx

Girl in China chokes to death after 3 bubble tea pearls get stuck in windpipe

Oh no.

Matthias Ang | July 15, 03:44 pm

Share

A 19-year-old girl has died after choking on her bubble tea in China, as a result of three pearls getting stuck in her windpipe.

According to Malaysian media See Hua Daily News (SHDN), the incident happened on the morning of June 30, when the girl was on the way to visit her friend and decided to buy bubble tea.

Hands turned black

However, just before arriving at her friend’s place, the girl began experiencing breathing difficulties, with her hands turning black.

Subsequently, the girl became unconscious when conveyed to hospital.

Eventually, she died, despite the attempts of a doctor who performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on her.

Asthma attack triggered after sucking on pearls

As for how the incident unfolded, SHDN highlighted that it was due to the girl’s asthma condition being triggered by the three pearls lodged in her windpipe.

Medical experts have warned that it is easy to choke on pearls, given their slippery texture.

The lack of oxygen caused by a pearl being lodged in the windpipe can also cause an attack, which makes it fatal for asthmatic people.

Additionally, children and the elderly are advised to drink bubble tea from the cup rather than the straws, so as to avoid accidentally sucking a pearl into one’s windpipe.

Related stories:

14-year-old girl in China allegedly has hundreds of undigested bubble tea pearls in her body

Top image from Flickr

About Matthias Ang

Matthias is that annoying guy whose laughter overshadows the joke.

Morning Commute

Interesting stories to discuss with your colleagues in office later

Close