Recently, a lady discovered a dead lizard in a packet of Irvins Salted Egg Fish Skin and took to Facebook to share her experience:
Following this incident, a letter of complaint was crafted by the lady's brother.
Irvins issued apology
In a press release dated Jan. 2, Irvins said that they were "shocked and devastated" to hear about the incident.
They "sincerely apologise" for it and will "take full responsibility for the goods that [they] sell".
They have also reached out to the customer and "will continue to do so to make sure that she and her family is all right".
Investigations being carried out
Currently, Irvins stated that they do not have an explanation for how the incident occurred.
However, they "promise to investigate this further" and make "the necessary changes in [their] production to ensure this will never happen again".
The company is also cooperating with the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority (AVA), who have been notified of the case.
Irvins is also open to recalling, and refunding, salted egg snacks that expire on Oct. 16, 2019.
Customers who are "uncomfortable with consuming [their] snacks" can also return their products.
Anyone who wants to return their snacks and get a refund for it should email their Customer Experience team at [email protected]
"All recalled products would be disposed of," they added.
This is their statement in full:
Dear Customers, Fans, Friends & Partners of IRVINS Salted Egg,
All of us at IRVINS Salted Egg were very shocked and devastated to hear that one of our customers discovered a dead lizard in a snack pouch that she opened.
Quality control is one of the most important aspects of our company and we are always on our toes because our customers’ safety is everything to us. We really want to sincerely apologize to the customer and everyone who is affected by this incident directly or indirectly. We take full responsibility for the goods that we sell and everything in it. I have since personally contacted the customer and will continue to do so to make sure that she and her family is alright.
We promise to investigate this further as we don’t have a full explanation on how the dead lizard ended up in our snack pouch and we promise to make the necessary changes in our production to ensure this will never happen again. The case has been reported to AVA and we will cooperate with them fully.
For all of our customers who still have our salted egg snacks at home, please kindly check on the back of the pouch for the expiry date. If you have a snack pouch that expires on 16 October 2019 or if you are uncomfortable with consuming our snacks, kindly email us at [email protected] so that our Customer Experience team could assist you with the product recall and refunds required for the snacks. All recalled products would be disposed of.
This is a major blow to us, however we promise that we will fix this issue and continue to be an honest and responsible company to all of you. Rest assured that we are doing the best we could to serve our customers with the best quality & service nonetheless.
Top photo adapted via Jane Holloway's Facebook post.