Spize Restaurant at River Valley suspended indefinitely after 49 cases of food poisoning
21 people have been hospitalised.
Popular eatery Spize Restaurant had its license for its River Valley outlet suspended on Nov. 9.
This was after 49 people who ate there came down with gastroenteritis, and 21 have since been hospitalised.
According to a joint press release by the Ministry of Health (MOH), National Environment Agency (NEA) and Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA), an inspection of the restaurant’s premises was carried out on Wednesday, Nov. 7.
This was after the authorities said they were first notified of the cases on Wednesday and conducted a joint inspection of the restaurant’s premises on the same day, which revealed several hygiene lapses.
This included leaving ready-to-eat food uncovered in a chiller, not providing soap for hand-washing (soap dispenser was faulty) and slotting knives for preparing ready-to-eat food in the gap between the food preparation tables.
Spize ordered to clean up
Spize has since been ordered to sanitise its River Valley premises.
It has also been ordered to dispose of all ready-to-eat food, thawed food and perishable food items, conduct thorough cleaning and sanitising of its premises including equipment, utensils, work surfaces and toilets, and review and rectify the lapses in food preparation processes identified during the joint inspection.
Additionally, food and environmental samples have been collected from the restaurant, while stool samples have been collected from some of those affected.
The restaurant’s food handlers have also been referred for stool screening.
The suspension will be in place until NEA is satisfied that the public health risks have been addressed.
Spize subsequently put up an apology on Nov. 9, offering prayers for the affected people.
It also identified the bento set as a likely cause of the gastroenteritis, and added that the restaurant is currently working with the relevant authorities to determine the root of the issue.
Several of the comments also alleged that at least one person has been warded in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), although this has not been confirmed or mentioned in mainstream media reports.
Top image from [email protected] Valley Facebook