GrabShare fares to be 35% cheaper than JustGrab; Drivers to receive more matches
Carpooling passengers and drivers will benefit.
Ride-hailing company Grab has made tweaks to the algorithm for GrabShare, its carpooling service.
According to a press release, the new algorithm will provide “for better quality matches and more efficient rides with minimal detours”.
Mothership understands that this tweaked algorithm was tested in the Philippines and has yielded positive results.
It will now allow up to three passenger matches in the same car going along the same way. Previously, the algorithm would stop after the driver has accepted two matches.
For drivers, having more matches means more earnings. Passengers, on the other hand, can look forward to cheaper fares. Grab promises that GrabShare fares will be up to 35 per cent cheaper than JustGrab fares.
For the algorithm to match drivers and passengers quickly and efficiently, drivers have to be quick to accept bookings. Hence, for drivers who use the Auto-Accept function, Grab will be refunding 100 per cent of the GrabShare commission (20 per cent of fare) to them if their completed GrabShare ride is unmatched – i.e. no passengers.
Additionally, even if GrabShare drivers’ rides are unmatched, as long as they meet the weekly trip targets, Grab will top up their earnings under the Monthly Income Guarantee:
With cheaper fares, we wouldn’t blame you if you decide to switch over to GrabShare, but before you do, here are some tips from Grab to ensure a pleasant GrabShare ride – don’t be the Grab rider from hell.
Tips for a pleasant GrabShare ride:
- Double check your booking request: Make sure your pick-up and drop-off locations are accurate to ensure you get the best matches on GrabShare and reach your destination faster.
- Two is company, three’s a crowd: You may bring only one additional passenger for your GrabShare ride, input the correct number of seats you need while making the booking. If you need a ride for more than two people, please book a JustGrab or 6- seater vehicle.
- Don’t keep your driver and fellow passengers waiting: Your driver will wait for a maximum of 3 minutes, to ensure that there are no delays for the other passengers.
- Share a ride, and the fare: All additional tolls and fares will be split among whoever is in the vehicle the moment the vehicle passes the ERP / toll gantry
- Be patient and have a good attitude: The GrabShare algorithm automatically calculates the pick-up and drop-off sequence to provide the most optimised route for everyone. The ride may take a little longer, but you’re guaranteed a cheaper fare.
The new algorithm will be progressively rolled out from November 12 and will be available to all users by end of November.
Top image by Joshua Lee.