Finally, a newspaper mentioned the “C” word in the AFF/Bill Ng/FAS donations saga
Is someone corr_ _t?
Half a million dollars and it’s not even benefiting Singapore football.
Like a dark cloud, this is the main issue engulfing the presidential elections for the Football Association of Singapore (FAS).
And finally, the associate editor of The New Paper have used the “C” word to describe the whole situation in his commentary (“All parties involved in FAS election must open their books“).
“Instead of a battle of ideas, it (the FAS election campaign) has turned into a web of insinuations and suggestions of mismanagement, perhaps even corruption.”
These are the facts:
– Bill Ng aka the millionaire donor and FAS Presidential candidate donated half a million dollars via Tiong Bahru Football club.
– FAS Gen-Sec and vice-president of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Winston Lee said that he was aware of the existence of the donation.
– Former FAS President Zainudin Nordin (Zai), who was leading the FAS during the period where this transfer of money occurred, did not say much about the saga despite the media’s attempts to reach him.
– The Asean Football Federation (AFF) acknowledged the existence of the donation for a football management system.
These are the details that are contentious:
– Ng said that he was under the impression that the donations were for Singapore football, while Lee claimed that Ng knew the money was going to AFF.
– FAS said that it was Zai who asked for the AFF donations, but Ng said that it was Lee who requested for the money, not Zai.
– Lim Kia Tong, the other FAS Presidential candidate and as a former FAS Vice-President, claimed that he did not know about the donations.
And yes, we still do not really know what the AFF’s football management system is about, one and a half years after the donation.
And the “system” would only be launched within the next nine to 12 months.
Maybe a further donation is required to speed up the launch.
If you love food, you’ll be glad to know that Nasi Lemak may still exist in 2185