M’sian man, 24, jailed 20 years in S'pore for killing 1 boss & seriously injuring another after fantasising about murdering them

A third boss was made to eat a red packet containing money.

Belmont Lay | June 09, 2021, 04:24 PM

A 24-year-old Malaysian man was sentenced to 20 years' jail in Singapore on June 9, 2021 for an attack on March 11, 2019 at the office of e-commerce company Ji Ji at Sungei Kadut Loop.

Summary of crimes

His attack left one man dead and another seriously injured.

The accused, Yee Jing Man, pleaded guilty to one count of culpable homicide for killing Lin Xinjie, 29, and causing grievous hurt with a dangerous weapon for slashing Li Mingqiao, 30.

The two victims were directors of the company.

Yee was assessed to be suffering from major depressive disorder, which significantly reduced his responsibility for his actions.

Other charges taken into consideration

Eight other charges were taken into consideration, including four counts of wrongful confinement.

Yee also faced one count of criminal intimidation for threatening a third director, Ryan Pan Zai Xing, 29,

Yee had spared the third director, but ordered the employer to eat a red packet containing S$20.

The red packet and money was given to Yee by the director for Chinese New Year.

Tried to kill himself

Following the attack, Yee then barricaded the office entrance with tables and chairs.

He then pointed the chopper and a knife at his colleagues to prevent them from calling the police.

Yee then stabbed himself in the stomach and slashed his wrists with the weapons.

The police arrived subsequently and Yee was subdued.


Yee had fantasised about killing his employers after his working relationship with them soured over the course of a few years.

Yee started out working at the company in March 2017 and did a good job.

His girlfriend, already an employee there, had recommended him to the director, Lin.

Yee performed well at first.

Lin even gave Yee a red packet with S$999 for Chinese New Year in 2018.

Yee was offered a promotion to be warehouse manager and a chance to earn more by upping his salary from S$1,700 to S$2,000.

Yee rejected the offer as he did not want the extra workload and stress.

Work performance deteriorated

About one-and-a-half years later, Yee's work performance deteriorated.

From September 2018, he began to not show up to work more often.

He was absent for 69 days between Dec. 1, 2017 and March 12, 2019.

Yee also felt that Lin had scolded him unreasonably and that Li was sarcastic to him.

Thought about killing bosses

In February 2019, Yee had already began thinking about killing the directors with a chopper, especially Lin and Li.

Pan's relationship with Yee was better.

This director helped Yee with his work and both men spoke frequently.

Yee also thought about killing himself after committing the murders as he did not want to be on the run from the law.

At that time, he already felt there was no purpose in life if he had to constantly worry about working.

The plan to murder his bosses

On Feb. 12, 2019, Yee bought a chopper from a provision shop.

This was after his girlfriend told him that Lin wanted to fire him.

But he changed his mind about killing Lin.

Yee then stopped going to work for one month.

He spent that time playing mobile games and finding out online on how to kill people efficiently.


He returned to work on March 1, 2019, but eventually did not go back by March 6.

A message from Pan to Yee saying that he no longer needed to come to work was forwarded by the Malaysian man's girlfriend on March 11.

This message made Yee angry.

He headed for the office with the chopper and a ceramic knife in his bag as he was determined to kill his bosses.

The attack

At about 12.55pm, Yee first walked to Li at his desk, and hacked his head and neck from the back.

Yee then swung the chopper at the back of Lin's neck a few times, slashing the back of his head, neck, right forearm, and right index finger.

He then threatened Pan with the chopper.

Yee's demand for Pan to put the red packet in his mouth was obeyed.

One of the employees caught in the attack in the office called the police.

Yee then stabbed his stomach and slashed his wrist.

He did so while saying, "I have no other way to go."

The police arrived at about 1.05pm and subdued Yee after a struggle.

Lin was pronounced dead at the scene.

Li underwent emergency surgery and was discharged on March 16, five days after the attack.

He suffered significant scarring.

His injuries still cause him to feel weak and he has to attend physiotherapy.

Top photos via Lianhe Wanbao & Facebook