Every year during the Chinese New Year season, some people look forward to receiving red packets while others look forward to McDonald's seasonal Prosperity Burgers.
If you have a hankering for the slobbering black pepper burger now, there's a recipe that's probably worth a try.
The recipe was first shared in May 2020 by one Mohd Faiz Fitri Iberahim but has since resurfaced with more than 64,000 shares on Facebook.
However, like most online recipes, this recipe contains no proper measurements for the ingredients so you will have to engage in a little bit of trial and error.
Here's the full recipe:
- Burger buns
- Minced beef
- Red onion (chopped)
- Yellow onion (sliced thinly)
- Coarse and powdered black pepper
- Butter (two tablespoons)
- Oyster sauce
- Plain flour
- Sweet soy sauce
1) Spread butter onto the cut-side of the buns and toast them on a skillet or grill.
2) Shape the minced meat (seasoned with salt and pepper) into patties.
3) Pan fry the patties until they are cooked.
4) In a saucepan, melt the butter and add some plain flour to thicken it.
5) Add a glass of water and stir.
6) Add the red onions, coarse and powdered black pepper, oyster sauce, sweet soy sauce and salt to taste.
7) Once the gravy has thickened, dip the cooked patty into the sauce.
8) Place the glazed patty on a toasted bun and top it with thinly sliced yellow onions and the other bun.
And here's what it looks like.
With more practice through trial and error, hopefully, it can turn out like this:
Top image from Mohd Faiz Fitri Iberahim's Facebook page and @lafleurs.journal on Instagram.