After a six-month wait, Joy Luck Teahouse will be opening at ION Orchard come end-August.
The Hong Kong-style cafe will bring in four iconic food items:
- Egg tarts from Hoover Cake Shop
- Bolo buns and milk tea from Kam Kee Café
- Curry-flavoured fish balls from Tak Hing Fishball Company
However, it was previously reported that the new outlet will be a food kiosk. It is unclear if there will be a sit-down area, as some ION basements stalls do.
Two kinds of egg tarts
Joy Luck will be selling two kinds of egg tarts: One made with puff pastry, and another with butter cookie.
The custard is reportedly "smooth, wobbly and creamy," with the right note of sweetness.
Hoover Cake Shop egg tarts are Chow Yun-Fat and Liza Wang's favourite, apparently.
Bolo buns and milk tea
The Bolo (pineapple) buns are stuffed with butter and come with a sweet, crumbly crust.
Fillings like kaya and luncheon meat will also be available.
The milk tea, on the other hand, follows Kam Kee’s secret recipe.
Singapore will also get the brand's first Hong-Kong style bubble tea, named Pearl of the Orient.
The drink comes with brown sugar pearls.
50 per cent discount for Singapore Pioneer Citizens
Singaporeans who are 60 years old and above will be entitled to a 50 per cent discount on the Hong Kong-style Milk Tea and 8 Treasures Tea when they present their Merdeka or Pioneer Generation cards.
A few other promotions will be held in conjunction with the stall's opening as well:
- 10 per cent discount on regular items with no minimum spending for all walk-in customers
- 20 per cent discount on regular items with S$10 minimum spending and membership sign up within two weeks of the opening period.
- Buy one-get-one free Hong Kong Milk Tea (Hot/Cold) or Hong Kong Milk Tea with Bubble) with membership sign up within two weeks of the opening period. The free item will be the lower-priced item.
Address: #B4-61 ION Orchard, 2 Orchard Turn, Singapore 238801
9am to 10pm, daily
Top image via Joy Luck Teahouse and @secretfoodblogger on Instagram