Police 'apprehended' woman without face mask at Shunfu Mart, MP says

She was fined for a previous incident.

Mandy How | May 03, 2020, 09:14 PM

Update on May 3, 10:46pm: In response to Mothership's queries, the Police said that they are investigating the woman for voluntarily causing hurt, causing public nuisance, and breaching safe distancing measures. 

You can read their statement in full here: 

"On 3 May 2020 at 12.16pm, the Police received a call for assistance at 320 Shunfu Road. Preliminary investigations indicated that a 40-year-old Singaporean woman, who had previously breached safe distancing measures, was not wearing a mask and allegedly assaulted a 47-year-old woman who advised her to put on a mask. The Police are investigating the woman for voluntarily causing hurt, causing public nuisance and breaching safe distancing measures under the COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) (Control Order) Regulations 2020.

The Police take a serious view of such abusive and irresponsible behaviour, especially in the current COVID-19 situation. We urge the public to take the circuit breaker measures seriously and comply with the safe distancing measures."

A woman in Singapore has become a lightning rod for criticism after she who allegedly refused to wear a mask at Shunfu Mart more than once.

Videos of the alleged repeat incident started circulating on May 3.

Chong Kee Hiong, a Member of the Parliament from Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, revealed in a Facebook post on the same day that the case has been dealt with on the spot.

He thanked the Singapore Police Force officers for "swiftly apprehending" the woman.

"We cannot have such acts of irresponsibility while the whole of Singapore makes sacrifices and is fighting Covid-19 as one," he added.

The MP then reassured Singapore residents that such behaviour will not be tolerated.

Caught and fined for previous incident

In one of the videos, the woman referenced an earlier incident in April, involving herself and the police at the same wet market.

She claimed that she was not fined for her actions.

That is untrue.

Chong said in his post that the woman had been "caught and fined" in a previous incident.

An earlier statement by the National Environment Agency (NEA) also noted that the woman's particulars were taken down by the police, and from there, issued a fine of S$300.

She had sat down to consume her food at the market despite being advised to observe safe distancing measures.

Top image via Marceino Tng on Facebook