Contractors for the Housing & Development Board (HDB) will be temporarily housing healthy foreign workers at unused void decks and multi-storey car parks where projects are under construction.
This is according to HDB's Facebook post from April 11.While the facilities are unused, HDB assured that they will be living in completed structures that are "safe and liveable".
Minister for Manpower Josephine Teo also responded:
Added safe distancing measures
According to the post, this temporary measure will help to improve safe distancing by spreading out the workers who are living in workers' quarters on site.
Other measures that have been put in place include:
- No visitation to other levels.
- Temperature screening twice a day.
"The workers will be staying within the site, and only designated workers are allowed to leave the site to purchase essentials from nearby grocery stores."
The post noted that all premises are checked to ensure that the living condition is airy and comfortable, with conveniences such as toilets, charging points, and wifi provided for all sites.
This update by HDB came after a video of a large group of workers were seen with bunk beds and other electrical equipment at what seems to be a car park went viral on social media.
Here's an example of the video:
SAF camps & floating hotels
Car parks and void decks aren't the only temporary accommodation choices for the workers.
Earlier this week, co-chair of the Multi-Ministry Taskforce Lawrence Wong said that healthy migrant workers will be housed at SAF camps, floating hotels and Changi Exhibition Centre in order to separate them from infected and suspected cases.
These alternate accommodation are required to have toilets and showering facilities, which are essential "to ensure the well-being of the workers', Wong said.
Top image from HDB & screenshots from here.