Australia has reported its first fatality from Covid-19.
According to ABC, the victim is 78-year-old man who was evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship.
There are 705 confirmed cases aboard as of Feb. 29.
Wife in isolation
Chief health officer of Western Australia, Andrew Robertson, and Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt offered their condolences to the man's family.
Robertson also assessed the risk of public infection to be low, as the man was placed in isolation upon arriving in Perth, Western Australia.
The man's 79-year-old wife, who is also infected, is currently in isolation in hospital.
The couple was flown back to Perth slightly over a week ago.
They were among the 164 Australians who have been evacuated from the ship.
Robertson said that the man's wife is in stable condition.
"She had the opportunity to talk to him prior to his death, but she's understandably quite upset. And I obviously ask that people respect their privacy," he said.
Australia has 25 confirmed cases so far.
Top image via Josh Spires on Unsplash