Food is abundant. Especially in Singapore, it’s all around us. Turn left and you see food. Turn right and you see more food. Close your eyes and once you open them, voila, food.
But it’s the hustings. So if you fail to plan (for food), you are planning to fail.
It’s okay. We shall help you plan — where to eat!
You’ll also need to head home after the rally, and for that, we strongly advise against waiting for taxis or trying to get Uber or GrabCars, as they’ll very likely be few and far between. Public transport is the way to go.
Holland-Bukit Timah GRC
Was super craving for a “wet” kind of salted egg yolk dish after seeing it on instagram all week 😣 Love this super gao and wet salted egg yolk pork ribs ( $ 12 ) from #twochefs at the sin ming branch. Slightly spicy from the chili padi but I think it lacks certain flavours from the curry leaves that was missing in action. Rushed down for this as they closed at 1030pm (last order was probably 1015pm, cause the waitress there magically vanished after that)
Rally location 1: Field along Commonwealth Ave, beside Commonwealth MRT Station
Makan location: Two Chefs (116 Commonwealth Crescent #01-129)
A popular tze char stall amongst residents here. Top-selling dishes include Butter Pork Ribs (with milk powder sprinkled on top) and Salted Egg Yolk Pork Ribs.
Rally location 2: Field in front of Blk 204 Clementi Avenue 6
Makan locations: The Clementi Avenue 3 cluster has plenty of food to offer:
– Clementi Mall has Seoul Garden Restaurant, Sushi Express as well as Thai Express.
– City Vibe next door has Blackball Dessert.
– 321 Clementi also houses the cheap perennial favourite Saizeriya, and there’s also
– Block 448 Market and Food Centre
Jalan Besar GRC
Rally location 1: Field in front of Blk 4 Boon Keng Road
Makan locations: Walk out to either Serangoon or Bendeemer Road. Nearest MRT is Farrer Park, estimated 10 min walk away
Right over there is City Square mall, but there are also a few kopitiams in the area, such as Li Yuan Food Court Kopitiam (next to Gap Year Hostel at 322 Lavender St), and Fu You Yuan Vegetarian Restaurant (310 Lavender St). If you’re really early, just hop over to the cafes in the Jalan Besar area a few streets down!
Rally location 2: Field opposite Blk 16 Jalan Tenteram
– Whampoa Makan Place Hawker Centre (90 Whampoa Dr) would be one of your better bets around the area – we hear Hoover’s Rojak there is a must-try!
– Whampoa Community Club (300 Whampoa Dr), an estimated 10 min walk.
Rally location: Field between Stadium Road and Stadium Blvd
Makan locations: (All within walking distance!) Kallang Wave Mall Foodfare (air-conditioned too!); Leisure Park Kallang Koufu and Geylang is just nearby.
Potong Pasir SMC
Rally location: Field opposite 120 Potong Pasir Avenue 1
– New Trend Eating House (120 Potong Pasir Avenue 1)
– 148 Potong Pasir Avenue 1
Radin Mas SMC
Rally location: Delta Hockey Pitch, 900 Tiong Bahru Road
Makan location: Redhill Food Centre offers an array of local food that will delight any local tastebuds. We recommend Nan Heng Hainanese Chicken Rice.
Tanjong Pagar GRC
Rally location 1: Queenstown Stadium.
Makan locations: Walk along Commonwealth Ave. Nearest MRT is Queenstown MRT, estimated 10 min walk
– Mei Ling Food Centre (159 Mei Ling St) is well-known among many Singaporeans, head over to fill up at Ah Pang Steamboat Seafood and Sin Kee Famous Chicken Rice before attending your rallies.
– Al Zaman Eating House (158 Mei Ling St) is a good option for Halal diners.
Rally location 2: Sports field in front of MOE, 21 Evans Road
Makan locations: The 26 Evans Road stretch should need no introduction to foodies and Instagrammers, with Assembly Coffee and Wildfire. Those after something a little more Singaporean could get their prata and the tarik fix at Mr Prata.
Lunchtime rally, CBD
Rally location: Promenade area beside UOB Plaza
– Circular Road — There are numerous restaurants along Boat Quay but we recommend BK Eating House on Circular Road (32 South Bridge Rd) for those who want to relive their post-Butter Factory suppers.
– McDonald’s next to UOB Plaza 2
– Raffles XChange at Raffles Place MRT station offers food options like Soup Spoon, TCC and Coffee & Toast. Upstairs you’ll find Change Alley/The Arcade, with fancy coffee or salad cafes.
-Lau Pa Sat, if you are willing to brave the heat, offers a variety of choices.
Top photo from Wildlife Burgers Singapore.
With input from Lydia Shah, Sarah Tan, Matthias Ang, Eisabess Chee and Damon Yeo.