9 best mooncakes from S’pore in 2014 that can lure Chang Er down from the Moon
These are the only mooncakes you need this Mid-Autumn Festival.
Singaporeans’ love affair with mooncakes is well known.
Every year, around this time, you will receive mooncakes from your family, friends, exes, neighbours, business partners, colleagues, in-laws and even strangers. You will eat so much of it, it comes out from your ears.
And you tell yourself, no more, I have had enough. Never again.
But when next year comes around, the exact same thing repeats itself.
Regardless, here are the 9 best mooncakes you can find in Singapore in 2014 that will leave you satiated:
Snow skin mooncakes
1. Grand Hyatt Green Tea with Sake Truffle Snow Skin
$69 for 8 miniature mooncakes
Alcohol? Check. Green tea? Check. This mooncake can take the cake.
2. Fullerton Hotel Pandan with Gula Melaka Snow Skin
$55 for 4 mooncakes
With pandan and gula melaka, this is a true Singaporean mooncake. It should have come during National Day.
3. Goodwood Park Hotel Calamansi, Kumquat and Sour Plum Snowskin Mooncake
$48 for 4 mooncakes
Whoever said mooncake had to be sweet, you have tasted nothing yet. Nothing, you understand?
4. Hai Tien Lo Four Treasure Petit Snow Skin Mooncake
$64.20 for a box
This includes: Pistachio, Osmanthus and Chinese Herbs; Hazelnuts, Honey and Grapefruit; Almonds, Custard and Longan; Melon Seeds, Oolong and Chrysanthemum. Our bet goes with the Almond-flavoured one.
5. St. Regis Yan Ting Red Dates and Wolfberries Snow Skin Mooncake
$68 for 8 miniature mooncakes
This could appeal to the Cantonese friends among us, where the ingredients would usually be found in soups rather than in mooncakes.
6. Peony Jade Orh Ni Mooncake
$49.30 for 4 pieces
There is nothing more luxurious than orh ni (yam paste) with creamy pumpkin puree. Wait. Yes, there is, if it’s wrapped in flaky baked pastry.
7. Ritz-Carlton Hotel’s Purple Sweet Potato with Pumpkin Mooncake
$60 for 4 pieces
Why not give the humble sweet potato a chance, since you already know how good orh ni gets as a mooncake flavour?
8. Hua Ting’s Milk Tea Lotus Paste with Melon Seeds Mooncake
$62 for 4 pieces
Teh tarik flavour?
9. Singapore Airlines Passion Fruit with Rosella Mooncake
$68 per box of four
Honestly, we’re just curious if SIA does mooncakes as well as they do flying.