Once they start speaking, Singaporeans can easily identify each other in a sea of strangers in a foreign land. The beauty of our Singlish must be celebrated. Here are 11 words we mangle but we can still get our points across.
Note: this was inspired by some public servants and their daily brushes with funny enunciation.
1. Children [chil-druhn]
2. Anything starting with Th-
3. Government [guhv-ern-muhnt, ‐er-muhnt]
4. Words ending with -l or -le
5. Milk [milk] - lol like that's going to help.
6. Adding -s or -ed into words that don't need them
7. Sorry [sor-ee, sawr-ee]
8. Bread [bred]
9. When the 'i' becomes a 'ee'
10. Lingerie [lahn-zhuh-rey, lan-zhuh-ree, -juh-; French lanzhuh-ree]
11. Lavender [lav-uhn-der]
*Bonus word* Pronounce [pro-nouns]
Many people assume that the correct pronunciation of 'pronounce' is [pruh-nuhns]. They are misled because 'pronunciation' is pronounced as [pruh-nuhn-see-ey-shuhn]. So everyone, don't be a smart alec, the correct way is what you've been saying all along - [pro-nouns].
Have any more words you want us to feature? Let us know in the Facebook comments below!
You may also like: