Everything you need to know about PM Lee’s National Day Rally 2013 in 60 seconds
If you have more time, read tomorrow's papers or watch the full videos from PMO S'pore Youtube.
PM Lee Hsien Loong’s annual National Day Rally 2013 addressed three major concerns – housing, healthcare and education – at the ITE College Central.
Here are 8 key points of his National Day Rally:
1. Strategic shift in S’pore’s approach to nation building: Individuals must still do their best, but the Community and Government must do more to reduce the pressures on individuals.
2. OurSGConversation process: It created a firmer, shared basis to discuss and plan S’pore’s future.
3. Housing: PM will ensure that a HDB flat is always within reach – affordable and available – to S’poreans. A family earning $1,000 per month can afford a 2-room flat; $2,000 per month a 3-room flat; and $4,000 per month a 4-room flat. S’poreans can use mostly CPF to pay off their loans, and have a 25 year loan instead of a 30 year loan.
4. MediShield for Life: MediShield will be revamped to become MediShield Life. It will cover people for life and cover every Singaporean, including those with pre-existing illness. MediShield Life will also give better protection for very large bills.
5. Taking care of our Pioneer Generation: The Government will introduce a Pioneer Generation Package to help this group of elderly pay for their premiums under Medishield Life.
6. Education: Government is investing to give children the best start in life through Edusave contributions. There will be changes to Pri 1 admissions & PSLE scoring. Next year, every primary school will set aside at least 40 places for children with no prior connection to the school. PSLE scoring will be changed to use wider bands for grades like in ‘O’ or ‘A’ levels. The Government will create flexibility in secondary schools for students to tailor their education to their abilities and development.
7. Youth: The Government will encourage more youths to build a better Singapore. A volunteer youth corps will be formed, with funding from the govt, so that youth corps members can carry out their own community projects.
8. Changi Airport & Port in Tuas: Changi Airport will be upgraded with a new complex codenamed Project Jewel, two new terminals and a 4th runway. Paya Lebar Airbase will be moved to Changi. A new port will be built in Tuas, with all container ports from Tanjong Pagar moving there eventually. This will free up prime land in Tanjong Pagar for a brand new Southern Waterfront City.
PM Lee’s National Day Rally in Numbers
1. This is the 1st time NDR is held in ITE campus Ang Mo Kio. NDR had been held at the NUS University Cultural Centre since 2001.
2. PM Lee spoke for 15 minutes in Malay, 30 minutes in Mandarin, and about 105 minutes in English.
Related National Day Rally Videos
PM National Day Rally 2013 Preparations