Despite all of her shortcomings, Singapore has been and will be home to millions of people, who otherwise wouldn’t have another place to go.
So what makes a home? Well, chance and inertia mainly.
But also a host of other everyday, inconsequential stuff. Such as the following 48 items on this list.
If any one of them puts a smile on your face or a tear in your eye or a song in your heart, good.
1. Singapore can be so very pretty
Runaway capitalism aside.
2. She is starting to mix the serious with the fun
Source: The Butter Factory Facebook
Especially during Halloween.
3. No, seriously, she is starting to loosen up
This picture made it internationally.
4. We still own Malaysia at football
Malaysia Cup 1994 winner
Malaysia Super League 2013 winner
5. We are becoming more creative as the days go by
Problem solvers, these guys.
Such as the best discounts during periods of inflation.
Or practise trolling.
8. We have the space to act out sometimes
But we still turned out okay. We are quick to judge and just as quick to forget.
Despite English being our First Language.
The Singapore Zoo is still the most awesome in the world.
And the role of coincidence.
Like this Korean guy who gave his slippers to the old lady on the bus.
And we are becoming kinder and more accepting.
All the strange, fascinating facts that weren’t exactly taught in school.
20. We have our own unsolved mystery
Sembawang Hot Spring is our only natural hot spring, dispensing 131ºC water. The exact source of the spring remains unknown.
21. We have full mastery over the urban environment
Source: Superfly Monkey Dragons
We build it up. And then we parkour.
There is even a Facebook group called Cat Molester that documents the cute furry ones.
Republic Polytechnic student, 20-year-old Syafiq “The Slasher” Samad, has evolved to take Singapore Mixed Martial Arts world by storm.
25. We lionise those who stand up for the people
26. We are finding our voice and our film-making sensibilities
Source: Ilo Ilo Facebook
Like how we sniggered really hard at this
29. Our innate creativity that runs amok
Yeah, looks about right.
Faith in humanity restored.
Such as this ERP gantry at the Redbull Flugtag held at Sentosa in 2012. We cheered aloud together when we let gravity destroy the thing we despise.
32. The worst ad placements
35. The smells
36. The unspoken permissiveness
37. Our own superhero
39. The bromance. Definitely the bromance.
40. We already know Singapore so well
We won’t fall for tourist traps.
41. The unglamorous corners still get to us
Sungei Road, for example.
42. You actually look forward to the comfort of the Changi Airport arrival hall
Whenever you are away for too long.
43. This song
To live our lives to the fullest. So that we can have our jam-packed concerts.
46. We are linguistically diverse
If you know this movie, you’re awesome.
47. The people and things that went before
Source: Remember Singapore
I know I’ll often stop and think about them.
48. Above all else, you and me
Maybe you’ll find another 90 reasons why you love here.