Sorry, Jesse Loo, you cannot be a Minister even if you win PM Lee’s Ang Mo Kio GRC
We will explain to you why it is an even more impossible task than winning PM Lee Hsien Loong's ward.
Our eyebrows were raised when Reform Party (RP) candidate Jesse Loo told a pro-PAP supporter to “Vote for Workers’ Party” at Ang Mo Kio MRT station on Sept. 2.
This morning, our eyebrows twitched furiously with what Loo said in last night’s Ang Mo Kio rally at Yio Chu Kang stadium:
“I like Siva (RP candidate Siva Chandran), will be very happy, once we go into parliament, we will make sure that as a (sic) Minister, we are efficiently working for you.”
Hold on a minute.
We are not going to be mice in Parliament … We are not inferior: The Reform Party’s Jesse Loo. #GE2015 LIVE UPDATES: http://bit.ly/opprallysep4 WATCH LIVE: http://sgvotes.sg
Posted by Channel NewsAsia Singapore on Friday, September 4, 2015
Here is a quick Singapore Politics 101 lesson for Loo:
1. There are 89 seats in parliament.
2. To form the government and to be a Minister, the political party will need to win 45 seats to be the ruling party.
3. RP will be contesting for 11 seats this GE (Ang Mo Kio GRC, West Coast GRC, and Radin Mas SMC)
4. Assuming that RP and leading Opposition party Workers’ Party (WP) win all the seats they contested, they will only have 39 (28+11) seats.
5. In other words, RP will need to form a coalition with WP and one more party before Loo can be a Minister.