10 quotable quotes that stood out at the two People’s Action Party rallies
Lim: "Now I think back, if we hadn’t separated that year (1965), you and I would be Malaysian right now. Heng ah.”
The Best of You Exhibition
19 September 2019 - 22 September 2019, 1000h-2100h
Our Tampines Hub
All photos by Christopher Wong.
The ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) rallies usually experience a smaller turn-out in attendance than the opposition Workers’ Party rallies.
This is because you know you will hear more from them in parliament, in national events for the next five years.
Last night, two rallies were held by the East Coast GRC and Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC teams. And we bring you the ten quotable quotes that sum up their rallies:
Minister Lim Swee Say – anchor Minister and candidate for East Coast GRC
1. Former Labour Chief defended the PAP’s policy on foreign labour, saying “I want to assure you, we did it for you.”
2. He explained that the economic instability resulted in the labour policy of the past: “We had no idea how many more ups and downs were ahead of us…”Whenever the wind blows, catch the wind.”
3 “We never said anything about our opponents, because as far as we are concerned, this General Election is about us serving you, us caring for you.”
4. “Now I think back, if we hadn’t separated that year (1965), you and I would be Malaysian right now. Heng ah.”
5. “When we celebrated SG50 this year, I was thinking, if my father hadn’t taken the boat to Singapore, I could be a Chinese national today. Heng ah”
Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean – anchor Minister and candidate for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC
6. “It’s like a mosquito bite…Look, let me scratch. Does that feel better? Let me scratch some more, does that feel better? And in the end, what happens? You get a sore forming and you become sick and ill.
Charles Chong – candidate for Punggol East SMC
7. “It is timely to get Punggol East out of AHPETC. To get our accounts in order. To remove any reason for MND to remove government grants”.
Janil Puthucheary – candidate for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC
8. “Some things have changed a lot in the last four years. I have lost a lot of hair…But I found many new friends and many new comrades.”
Teo Ser Luck – candidate for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC
9. On the new programs in Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, he said, “Sorry, only when we are voted in. I heard ‘Bao Jiak’ (“sure win” or “delicious”). There is no durians that are guaranteed to be delicious. This time, there are good durians and there are bad durians (translated from Teochew).”
Sun Xueling – candidate for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC
10. “Our journey was not paved by the talkers, the critics, or the men who just point out how the strong men stumble. Rather, it has been the path of the doers, the makers of things and the people who take responsibilities that has carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and stability.”