Singapore is the 2nd best sporting nation in the region
Majulah Singapura was played 84 times at the 2015 SEA Games.
Unfortunately, Singapore did not finish top on the 2015 SEA Games medal standings.
But 2nd place is hugely impressive, as Singapore has always concluded our SEA Games behind our larger neighbours – Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia.
In fact, tiny Singapore had achieved the most medals in this edition of the SEA Games with a 259 medal haul.
Just check out our past five SEA Games performances:
2013: 6th (34 Golds)
2011: 5th (42 Golds)
2009: 6th (33 Golds)
2007: 5th (43 Golds)
2005: 6th (42 Golds)
Here are seven facts about Team Singapore that our SEA Games fans did not need to know:
1. Best medal haul: The 258-medal haul surpassed Singapore’s record of 164 medals (50 Gold, 40 Silver and 74 Bronze) when the Games was hosted in Singapore in 1993.
2. Daily Gold Medal: Singapore won a gold medal daily from June 3 until the conclusion of the SEA Games.
3. Many Games records broken: The team posted 25 SEA Games records, 29 new national marks, and 74 personal bests.
4. S’pore dominated swimming: Swimming contributed the most to the medal haul with 42 medals – 23 gold, 12 silver and seven bronze.
5. S’pore rules men’s water polo: Singapore wins a 26th consecutive men’s water polo title.
6. Quah Zheng Wen has the most medals for an athlete: 12 medals – Seven golds, four silvers and one bronze.
7. Joseph Schooling has the most gold medals for an athlete: 9 golds, 9 Games record.
Top photo from Action Images via Reuters.