Abroad

2 dead in southern Philippines school shooting, suspect reportedly a student

A "high-powered firearm" had been used.

clock

August 18, 2026, 11:40 AM

Telegram

Whatsapp

A shooting at a high school in the southern Philippines has left two people dead, including the suspected shooter.

Officials say the situation has since been brought under control.

It happened on Aug. 18 at a high school under the Ateneo de Zamboanga University, in the southern city of Zamboanga, CNA reported.

Both of the dead were students

Speaking to DZMM radio, Zamboanga mayor Khymer Adan Olaso said both casualties were students, and that one of them was the gunman.

He said a "high-powered firearm" had been used.

Reporters at the scene said the suspect was a student, and that the shooting happened in a classroom.

University says there is no longer an active shooter

Ernald Andal, who heads the university, said the shooting had ended and that nobody else had been killed or reported hurt.

He said: "As of now, we confirm that there are two fatalities. There are no more active shooters."

Andal said the university was in touch with the authorities and would share more once it had further information.

He said: "We do not want any of these things to happen. We wish to prioritise the safety of all our students."

Police were still working to secure the campus, according to regional police spokesperson Major Shellamie Chang, who said she had no further details to give at that point.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Telegram to get the latest updates.

  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image

MORE STORIES

Events