Someone keeps splashing faeces & urine at Hougang block lift lobbies in the past year
Residents have identified a suspect.
Google Maps
A person has allegedly been splashing faeces and urine at the lift lobbies of a block of flats in Hougang over the past year.
A resident of Block 552 Hougang Street 51 has allegedly even had urine thrown on her.
The town council and the National Environment Agency have launched an investigation and installed surveillance cameras on the affected floors, Shin Min Daily News reported.
Incident highlighted on Xiahongshu
The accusation that a foreign domestic worker had urine splashed on her was first put up on Xiaohongshu.
A police report was lodged.
Police officers subsequently attended to the matter, it was reported.
Smelled bad
A Shin Min reporter visited the block and observed that the lift lobbies of fifth floor, and those below it, had a strong stench.
On some weeks, the smell would be present five out of seven days, a resident said.
To keep the odour out, she would have to keep the windows and door to her unit closed.
Another resident said the situation has been ongoing for about a year.
The resident further claimed that there were brown stains that resembled faeces on the walls previously.
A plastic bag was found to have been left behind and it was believed to have been used to hold the waste.
The resident added: "I wonder if that person put the filth in the bag and brought it here to dump."
Authorities alerted
Residents said they have reported the incident to the National Environment Agency (NEA) and Ang Mo Kio Town Council, but the bio-vandalism apparently did not stop.
A town council spokesperson told Shin Min that the town council is aware of the feedback and has posted educational posters at the lift lobbies to remind residents not to engage in inconsiderate and unhygienic behaviour.
NEA said it had installed surveillance cameras on the fifth floor between May 28 and Jun. 2.
The town council and NEA also conducted a joint inspection on Jun. 3 and have since advised the residents suspected of being involved.
Resident identified
According to Shin Min, a resident was identified as the person responsible.
However, the family and the person, who has been accused, has denied involvement.
An 82-year-old man told the Chinese daily that the police and others have showed up at his door and asked if his son was the culprit.
He said: “A couple of days ago, the police came to our door in the morning, which made me wonder if they were targeting our family. But the police just said it was a routine inquiry, so I told them what I knew.”
He added that he had asked his son about it, but his son got very angry and denied any involvement.
The elderly man added: "He's under a lot of pressure and has to take care of the two of us elderly people. If we really have evidence, we will ask him again."
MORE STORIES


















