You'll be working with the Mothership Features team. We publish longform pieces like interviews and explainers.
You should be able to:
- Look for good stories and people to interview.
- Google, research and read about them until you know them well enough to
- Interview them (and photograph them or shoot video of them, if you are able to)
- Create their stories (in text, photographs and/or video, or any other future formats
- Discover/dream up new ways to tell stories
Here’s what you need to do a decent job as a Features Writer:
- Enjoy writing (you'll be writing a lot of longer-form pieces)
- Enjoy reading (you'll also be doing a lot of this — books, magazines, long articles, long interviews and more)
- Be fundamentally kaypoh (this will put you in good stead to discover things, ask good questions and plug information gaps)
- Have a point of view (and preferably, if possible, an operational brain, to think about things that you read and hear and discover)
- Be keen to learn, and willing to unlearn everything you know and learn everything you don't (but may think you do) from scratch
- Have decent grammar, vocabulary and use of language (English most important, other languages are a plus)
- Enjoy talking to people (you'll be doing a lot of interviewing)
- Be good at Googling things (you'll be doing a lot of research on these people you will be interviewing)
- Have a good eye for visuals and pictures (if you can take good photos and/or video, that would be even better)
- Have good initiative — if you're the kind who tries your best not to volunteer for opportunities, no need to volunteer for this job
Tough hor. But the most important thing actually is to like interviewing people and telling people's stories, and be willing to learn, and work hard.
If you’re interested to speak with us, email your resume (in PDF form) to [email protected].
Please include "Career Application – Writer (Features)" in the subject line. If you’ve done some interviews or have written stuff before that you are brave enough to show us, please add them to your application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.