WHY join us?
Mothership is Singapore’s leading youth-focused digital news platform.
As we mark our 8th year since our conception, we invite passionate, talented and dynamic individuals to join us as we embark on our next phase of growth.
You will have the opportunity to learn from and work alongside our key leaders and industry practitioners, and to witness the impact of your work on the millions of people whom we serve every day,
As an organisation, our colleagues and our audiences are at the heart of all that we do. We strive to build and preserve a people-centered culture with a focus on personal development and professional growth.
WHAT is this role about?
Mothership has a reputation of being fast and innovative in producing news content 24/7. As a Weekend Writer (News), you will be responsible for creating highly relevant and engaging content for our audiences, and will work as part of our editorial team to establish consistent rhythm and output over the weekends.
(Note: This role will require you to operate on a 4-day work week, from Fridays to Mondays.)
A snippet of what you can expect to be doing on a day-to-day basis:
- Working with reporters and editors to write and cover news events and stories
- Fact-checking, editing copy for spelling, grammar, and style
- Sourcing helpful supplemental elements while achieving accuracy, brevity, and clarity
- Crafting and adapting content for both web and social media, and coordinating publishing schedules
- Enabling our audiences to continue staying connected over the weekends, by helping them make sense of issues and events in an increasingly complex and fragmented world
WHO should consider?
We are looking for someone with minimally two years’ experience in news, digital media, publishing, or a related industry. Fresh graduates with high potential will also be considered.
If you are someone who:
- Reads widely, thinks clearly and critically, and has sharp news judgement
- Is creative, curious, and passionate about current affairs, people, culture, history, and politics
- Possesses excellent writing and editing skills, and is able to work independently
- Keeps extremely current with digital and social media trends, and has a pulse on trending conversations among young Singaporeans
- Is able and willing to work beyond prescribed hours in the event of breaking news
- Has a good sense of humour
... we’d love for you to be part of our team!
Crucially, you must possess the mental stamina, tenacity, and agility to work in an intensely dynamic, fast-paced, and competitive media environment.
HOW do you go about applying?
If you are interested in speaking with us, email your resume (in PDF form) to [email protected]. Please include "Career Application – Weekend Writer (News)" in the subject line.
Bonus points if you can provide samples of past writing works along with your resume, or even a short self-recorded video on why we should hire you.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.