WHY join us?
Mothership is Singapore’s leading youth-focused digital news platform.
As we mark our 8th year since our conception, we invite passionate, talented and dynamic individuals to join us as we embark on our next phase of growth.
You will have the opportunity to learn from and work alongside our key leaders and industry practitioners, and to witness the impact of your work on the millions of people whom we serve every day,
As an organisation, our colleagues and our audiences are at the heart of all that we do. We strive to build and preserve a people-centered culture with a focus on personal development and professional growth.
WHAT is this role about?
As a Research Writer for our Regional News coverage, you will be part of the editorial team to conduct research and write about regional news, events and global affairs affecting Singapore and Singaporeans.
You will develop story and content ideas, and are responsible for executing and coordinating editorial tasks and duties. You will be required to research, create, cross-reference, aggregate and organise news and current affairs content in the region (Southeast Asia and East Asia) — in particular, Greater China — and for our audiences in Singapore and the region.
You will join a team of passionate writers and content creators to help our audiences make sense of issues and events in an increasingly dynamic, fragmented and ambiguous world.
You will also be required to help manage the daily output of news content on its website and social media platforms. From time to time, you will be tasked to lead and manage special editorial projects, including managing budgets, resources and timelines.
Crucially, you must possess the mental stamina, tenacity and agility to work in an intensely dynamic, fast-paced and competitive environment.
A snippet of what you can expect to be doing on a day-to-day basis:
- Research, source, sort and curate information and data to produce intelligent, educational and effective content about Singapore and the world
- Present these information in a creative and digital friendly manner, in both article and video formats
WHO should consider?
If you are someone who:
- Observant and rational, with excellent writing skills
- Reads widely, and have a passion for regional and global current affairs, culture, politics, foreign policies and history
- A good understanding of socio-political and historical-cultural issues in China and Taiwan is a plus
- Being able to translate news from Chinese media sites is a plus
- Highly resourceful, able to optimise limited resources and overcome operational challenges
- Excellent people and communication skills, patient, form and decisive, able to foster trust and build relationships
- Able to work independently and also work well in teams, a problem solver who embraces challenges
- Keeps extremely current with digital and social media trends
- Possess the mental stamina, tenacity, and agility to work in an intensely dynamic, fast-paced, and competitive media environment
- 2 to 3 years of working experience
- A degree in international relations, global affairs, political science, or history
... we’d love for you to be part of our team!
We strive to build and preserve a people-centric culture with a focus on personal development and professional growth for all our colleagues.
HOW do you go about applying?
If you’re interested to speak with us, email your resume (in PDF form) to [email protected], with "Career Application – Research Writer (Regional News)" in the subject line.
Please provide samples of past works along with your resume in your application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.