Mothership is a digital media company with a reputation of being fast and innovative in producing news content 24/7.
We are looking for an experienced Copy Editor to join our editorial team.
As a Copy Editor, you will work as part of our editorial team to ensure quality, accuracy and timeliness of our editorial work.
We are looking for someone who reads widely, thinks clearly, and can help our audiences make sense of issues and events in an increasingly complex and fragmented world.
Crucially, you must possess the mental stamina, tenacity, and agility to work in an intensely dynamic, fast-paced, and competitive media environment.
Key responsibilities & accountabilities
- Writing and reporting news for a time-starved audience.
- Editing copy for spelling, grammar and style, fact-checking.
- Sourcing helpful supplemental elements while achieving accuracy, brevity and clarity.
- Working with reporters and editors.
- Able to work beyond prescribed office hours in the event of breaking news.
- Able to write for the web and social media audience.
- Understand Singapore and its concomitant issues thoroughly.
Knowledge & experience
- 3 to 5 years of digital copy editing experience.
- Experience in a fast-paced news environment.
- Demonstrable enthusiasm for and interest in journalism.
- Solid news judgement.
- Experience and enthusiasm for editing accessible reporting.
- Interest in and wide knowledge of the output of Mothership over the years.
Skills & behaviours
- Excellent copy editing skills.
- Commitment to the core values of quality news writing.
- Excellent planning and organising skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- High degree of comfort with technology and web-based applications.
- Able to edit copy quickly and accurately under pressure.
- Meticulous eye for detail, grammar and spelling.
- Appreciation of Mothership history and values.
- Ability to form productive relationships within and outside the department.
- Ability to deal with the pressures associated with deadlines.
- Team player.
- Able to accept constructive criticism.
- Willingness to change stories/ ideas at short notice.
- Sense of humour.
We strive to build and preserve a people-centered culture with a focus on personal development and professional growth for all our colleagues.
If you’re interested to speak with us, email your resume (in PDF form) to [email protected].
Please include "Career Application – Copy Editor" in the subject line. It will be advantageous if you can provide samples of past writing works along with your resume.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.