Mothership is a digital media company and a product of the Internet.
We are looking for interested candidates to apply for the position of Assistant Editor (News & Current Affairs).
As an Assistant Editor, you will work as part of our editorial team to ensure the quality, accuracy, and timeliness of our editorial work.
You will be responsible for executing, assigning, and coordinating editorial tasks and duties. You will also lead and mentor a team of writers and content creators in their news and current affairs coverage. You may also be required to lead and manage special editorial projects.
We are looking for someone who reads widely, thinks clearly, and can help our audiences make sense of issues and events in an increasingly complex and fragmented world.
Crucially, you must possess the mental stamina, tenacity, and agility to work in an intensely dynamic, fast-paced, and competitive media environment.
- Manage the daily output of content on website and social media platforms through the effective editing, assigning and curation of stories.
- Participate in day-to-day news gathering and reporting to produce high impact and effective content, presented in a creative and digital-friendly manner.
- Lead and mentor a team of writers and content creators.
- Work with teammates to develop hone story concepts, ideas and approaches.
- Independently manage project timelines and resources, where required.
- Identify potential editorial opportunities, and engage and build relationships with stakeholders.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Between 4 to 6 years of operational experience in the digital media industry, with at least 2 years experience in managing teams and direct reports.
- A degree in Arts and Social Sciences, Economics or Media-Related discipline is preferred.
- Creative and curious, with excellent writing skills and sharp editing skills.
- An avid reader and critical thinker who is passionate about current affairs, culture and politics.
- Keeps extremely current with digital and social media trends, and is able to identify conversations trending among young Singaporeans.
- Excellent people and communication skills. Patient but firm and decisive, able to foster trust and build relationships. It would be a plus if the candidate has a network of contacts with local newsmakers.
- Highly resourceful, problem solver who takes the initiative to develop and/or implement solutions.
We strive to build and preserve a people-centered culture with a focus on personal development and professional growth for all our colleagues.
If you’re interested to speak with us, email your resume (in PDF form) to [email protected].
Please include "Career Application – Assistant Editor (News & Current Affairs)" in the subject line. It will be advantageous if you can provide samples of past writing works along with your resume.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.