OnlyFans reversed its policy on banning sexually explicit content on its subscription-based platform.
Policy change suspended
The ban was supposed to take place from Oct. 1, 2021.
On Aug. 25, OnlyFans announced through its Twitter account that the company has suspended the planned policy change.
They explained that they have "secured assurances necessary to support our diverse creator community".
Thank you to everyone for making your voices heard.— OnlyFans (@OnlyFans) August 25, 2021
We have secured assurances necessary to support our diverse creator community and have suspended the planned October 1 policy change.
OnlyFans stands for inclusion and we will continue to provide a home for all creators.
The tweet also stated that an official email will be sent to its creators.
Ban "no longer required"
Previously, the platform cited bank policies and payment processors for the policy change.
In a message to all its users, the company had said that the new policies were "necessary to comply with the requirements of these financial institutions and are the only way to help ensure the long-term sustainability of OnlyFans".
Associated Press (AP) reported that OnlyFans released a statement on Aug. 25 which said that the ban was “no longer required due to banking partners’ assurances that OnlyFans can support all genres of creators”.
AP further stated that the platform declined to answer further questions.
Mixed reactions from creators
The reversal of the ban garnered a mixed bag of reactions from content creators.
An OnlyFans creator from London told BBC News that he welcomed the announcement, but added that creators who found other sites to operate might not return.
"So it is short-term good news for sex workers reliant on the platform - and I would like to see this as the start of increased support, celebration and championing of sex-worker rights by OnlyFans," he said, as quoted by BBC.
According to AP, the platform gained traction, especially among sex workers, during the lockdown as in-person venues were closed down and the situation became more dangerous due to Covid-19.
Other content creators were not too happy with the u-turn.
Sex worker Justine Aquarius told Insider that she felt betrayed by the reversal of policy.
She said that when the announcement came out that OnlyFans was going to ban sexually explicit content, she had lost hundreds of subscribers following a "mass exodus".
"Did OnlyFans really think they could continue to have that revenue without the creators who built it, promoted it, and funnelled all their fans from across social platforms to their site?" she told Insider.
BBC reported that OnlyFans makes its money by taking 20 per cent of all payments made to its content creators.
Follow and listen to our podcast here
Top image via OnlyFans/Twitter