Boys' electric shock in Toa Payoh due to exposed live wire, an 'isolated' incident: Bishan-Toa Payoh Town Council

Both teens are in stable condition.

Fiona Tan | June 16, 2021, 01:52 PM

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates:

Two teenage boys each sustained an electric shock on June 13 at Lorong 5 Toa Payoh at around 8:30pm after they were believed to have come into contact with a lamp post in the estate.

According to Bishan-Toa Payoh Town Council's (BTPTC), investigations so far have traced the source of the electric shock to an exposed live wire that might have come into contact with the metal part of the lamp post.

BTPTC also said in a statement issued on June 15 that this was an isolated incident.

Non-visible tear

Following the incident, BTPTC deployed their Licence Electrical Worker (LEW) to establish the probable cause of the electric shock on June 14.

During the checks, a small tear on the insulation of the live wire within the lamp post was discovered.

The lamp post was last inspected in early 2021.

BTPTC said the tear would not be visible without first removing the junction box, a small metal or plastic box that is designed to house and enclose electrical connections.

The LEW assessed that the cause of the electric shock could have stemmed from the exposed part of the wire coming into contact with the metal part of the lamp post.


BTPTC said the incident was potentially an isolated case after no similar issues were found in the inspection of other lamp posts within the same circuitry and there was no prior history of such incidents.

Rectification works were subsequently performed and completed on June 15, said BTPTC.

BTPTC said they do not take such incidents lightly and will continue to ensure the safety of electrical installations.

The LEW carries out safety inspections every six months on switch rooms and electrical installations.

In addition, BTPTC staff perform monthly inspections of the exterior of outdoor features or fittings to check for defects.

The next inspection for the mentioned lamp post is in July 2021.

The incident

Shin Min Daily News reported that the teen duo were playing football next to a playground near the fitness corner.

One of the boys, Rifqy, was in the midst of retrieving the football when he reached out towards the lamp post to break a fall, according to The Straits Times (ST).

Instead, he got an electric shock and collapsed.

The other boy tried to help him but received a shock himself in the process.

BTPTC was alerted by Essential Maintenance Services Unit (EMSU) that two boys were electrically shocked at the turf area in front of Block 63 Lorong 5 Toa Payoh on June 13.

BTPTC said they went on site and attended to the incident immediately and cut the electrical supply that was powering the lamp post and those within the same circuitry.

BTPTC said the pair were conveyed to KK Women's and Children's Hospital for medical attention and their conditions have stabilised.

Rifqy is currently warded in the hospital for electrical burns to his right hand and muscle injury, according to The Straits Times (ST).

The other boy was discharged on June 14.

Related stories:

Top image via Google Maps & Shin Min Daily News