S’pore woman rescues terrified stray kitty flung against wall after being hit by vehicle in KPE tunnel
None of the drivers passing by were willing to stop and help her.
This week has been a harrowing one for pets and animals, thanks to the terrible things that happened at Platinium Dogs Club:
But what this has shown us is that Singaporeans are, by and large, an empathetic lot who generally do care for animals.
Bitten by cat while trying to get her out
Take for instance 26-year-old Serene Cai, who on Friday afternoon rescued a frightened and injured cat from underneath her car after it was hit by another vehicle on the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE).
Despite hurting herself in the process, the entrepreneur had no regrets at the end of the day.
She recounted her encounter with the kitty, whom she has already named Rory (Tory, if it is female), in a series of Instagram stories that she shared with Mothership.
Here’s a rundown of what happened:
- She was driving on the KPE towards Bishan when she saw a cat running across the road.
- She stopped her car when she saw the cat hurtling towards the wall and hitting it.
- The cat rolled underneath her car and stayed there.
- She then knelt on the ground and tried, unsuccessfully, for half an hour to get the cat out.
- She called Traffic Police for help after failing to get help from other drivers.
- In the process of trying to pull the cat from underneath her car, the cat bit her hand hard till she bled.
- She finally got the cat out with the help of the Expressway Monitoring Advisory System (EMAS) crew, who sent the cat to the SPCA.
She ended her story series with the good news that the cat survived the incident, although it seemed to have been injured on its right front paw.
Cai also said she isn’t sure if the cat will be put up for adoption or released back to the community.
You can read her Insta Stories (her Instagram account is set to private), which we’ve published with her permission, below:
Here’s another story of another cat found stranded in the KPE tunnel:
Top image adapted via Serene Cai’s Instagram