S'porean allegedly jumped out of Bali hotel after consuming magic mushrooms

His friend was unable to hold him back.

Guan Zhen Tan| May 08, 10:34 PM

A Singaporean tourist has died from injuries sustained in a fall, allegedly due to hallucinations from consuming a drink that had magic mushrooms (colloquial term for Psilocybin mushrooms or psychedelic mushrooms) mixed into it.

The deceased is said to be Ong Chee Seng, a 23-year-old student, who fell from Hotel Terrace in Badung, Bali, according to an Indonesian news source Tribun Bali.

The incident occurred on May 6, at about 2.15am.

His body was found in a lane behind Hotel Akmani, and was taken to the local BIMC hospital.

Lee Jun Yu, witness and classmate of Ong, was reported to have also bought the magic mushroom drink with the deceased, before proceeding to mix the concoction.

Ong mixed his with orange juice, and Lee mixed his with Cadbury chocolate.

Lee said that Ong wanted to jump out of the building not long after consuming the drink.

Lee had tried to hold him back by holding his hand but lost strength to stop Ong, who then jumped and fell out from the fifth floor of the hotel.

He reportedly died on impact.

Since 2014, magic mushrooms have been classified as a Type 1 narcotic and could get offenders jailed, but it is still apparently available through multiple avenues.

According to The Straits Times, a spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that the Singapore Embassy in Jakarta "is rendering consular assistance to the family of the deceased Singaporean".

While the cause of death is currently attributed to the influence of the drug, it is still unconfirmed as of writing, and we will update the article accordingly.


Top photo via Hotel Terrace at Kuta's Facebook page

If you like what you read, follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get the latest updates.