On Tuesday, American-based site Refinery29 ran a piece featuring the expenditure of a Canadian-Chinese woman who lives in Singapore over the period of a week, giving us an intriguing insight into just how much the wealthy expats here spend.
For some context, we should start by saying she works in the finance industry.
- Her annual salary is S$164,990, which translates to some S$13,749.17 per month.
- According to the piece, she declared she pays S$2,492 in rent (her 50 per cent share; her husband pays the other half) and S$420 in phone and utility bills per month, too.
So that leaves her with S$10,837.17 to spend or save. And on the week they tracked, she spent S$820.58 — here's what she bought (currencies from here on out are in Singapore dollars):
- A bottle of Fiji water while on her way to barre class (she bought a 10-class package for $301): $2.80
- 3 macarons from Laduree, and an açai bowl: $21.15
- A cup of tall iced Americano from Starbucks, where she meets a potential interior designer for her condo: $4.30
- Hotpot lunch: $110.00 (Paid for by husband)
- Organic soft-serve: $11.80 (Paid for by husband)
- Trip to a dog cafe, which involves a pork bento box for the dog, and an iced drink for her and her husband: $24.00
- Uber ride to work: $11.84
- Iced skinny mocha: $7.50
- Lunch with a friend involves a soup-and-sandwich set reimbursed by company, up to $15.
- Early dinner, because was dissatisfied with lunch, of Taiwanese meat with rice and sweet potato fries: $10.50
- Uber ride to work: $19.80
- Iced skinny mocha and chocolate croissant: $7.50 (there is a morning combo special)
- Bowl of beef noodles and two gossip magazines while waiting for flight to Hong Kong (work trip), because she doesn't enjoy economy class food: $31.00
- A detox juice with a friend flying off to Paris from Hong Kong, on her friend.
- Reuben sandwich and fries from room service. Charged to company card.
- Bircher muesli at client breakfast, paid for by client.
- Lunch with colleague at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. Damage: $210, charged to company card.
- Shopping. Buys Tatcha Rice Enzyme Powder and Silk Cream moisturiser, and packs of sheet masks from Karuna: $449.86
- Dinner with seven girlfriends. Bill comes up to about $360, divided among them equally: $44.98
- Same breakfast, charged to company card.
- Bowl of ramen before boarding plane back to Singapore: $21.59
- More gossip magazines and some snacks because she is still hungry: $19.80
- Uber to work: $14.07
- Salad lunch: charged to company card.
- Pork and veggies for her dog, who eats a home-cooked diet: $45.00
- Chinese takeout for dinner: $25.00
- Uber to take her dog to the dog park: $10.09
- Snacks at a restaurant in the park. Dog has grilled chicken, husband and her share fries, iced lemon tea and beer: $40.00
- Chinese takeout from meeting with another potential interior designer: $9.80
How much do you spend in an average work week?
Top photo: Thinkstock.