Life in the university as a minion versus life as a primary or secondary school student is just not the same.
It's more fun to be little.
1. No group projects, only xi zi (Chinese writing practice) and homework
Now our project group mates can drive us really crazy.
Especially when our groups are pre-assigned, and we have to stay over in school just to finish our projects.
2. We could wear FBTs to school, and FBTs to town after school so long as we are wearing a Primary or Secondary school PE shirt as a top.
Now we stress over whether we have to dress formally for presentations, and we actually have compulsory classes on grooming.
Here’s what presentations now feel like:
Bright FBTs versus formal wear. Obviously life was much more colorful back then.
3. Affectionate old school terms. What Chairman or President? I am the monitor/monitress!
They wielded way too much power.
4. Low ankle socks made us feel really good. Because wearing high socks makes us a laughing stock, and we also had to hide our colored socks.
See, this wouldn't work, would it?
5. We still had art, music and PE lessons to look forward to.
Because they're “slack” compared to Additional Mathematics or Chemistry classes.
6. We were more creative. Now we need classes like Creative Thinking.
Proof #1: Buying Converse shoes with red and black lines to bypass the “white school shoes” rule. And then draw or write song lyrics on them with black markers.
Proof #2: No necklace? I wear my hairband on my neck.
7. Classic entertainment on the first day of school: when freshmen wear high socks and button their top collar.
8. We used to appreciate the little things.
Like being able to dye our hair all sorts of colors after O Levels.
Okay actually we still appreciate the little things now. Like more sleep please.
9. We got free haircuts when our hair touched our eyebrows or the collar of our uniform on spot check day.
Because every guy dreaded the trip to the school barber, the queue was short. Now we queue all the way to the bus stop for welfare from our University during exam week.
10. Assignments used to be nothing.
Now we burn consecutive nights of midnight oil to finish just one assignment.
11. DIY gifts on Valentine’s Day, left on our tables.
12. Actual holidays/public holidays.
Now we think of internships and the make up classes on weekends. Holidays in University, really?
13. When we were actually happy with our stalls in the canteen/tuckshop, even though we had to eat the same thing everyday.
Now we go: “Koufu, Kopitam, again?!”
14. No presentations. Just show and tell.
15. School used to end officially at a civilized hour, before 2pm.
16. We used to be the creditors and bugged our relatives for donations to fill up our school’s NKF or Sharity donation card.
Now when we see our friends fundraising in school:
17. Everyone listened more and talked less back then.
Especially during Listening Comprehension.
Articles you may like:
Top photo from here